Have you ever noticed when you are house hunting or visiting others in their homes, that some houses feel warm and inviting while others are cold and uninviting? This is because buildings absorb the energy of all that has passed through them. If a previous owner or tenant was angry a lot of the time, or arguments were a regular occurrence, then the house will reflect this and you will pick up on the negative energy that has been generated from these activities. On the other hand, if the home has had a loving couple living in it since it was built who put their love, heart and Soul into the home, you will pick up on that energy. The difference is certainly palpable. It is also the reason why some houses will sell quickly and others never move.
The same goes for a birthing space. If you create your birth nest at home and fill it with love and all your precious, meaningful possessions, chances are, you will feel relaxed, calm and at home while birthing your baby. This energy is conducive to the release of all the good birthing hormones...oxytocin (the hormone of love) and endorphins (natures own relaxant and analgesia). These will be secreted in sufficient amounts required to get those birth rushes happening and birth your baby in a sea of love hormones...quickly and efficiently.
Alternatively when we birth in a hospital setting, we are subjected to all the energies that have gone on before us. This means that all those women who have birthed in that same room, over all the years that this particular hospital has been open...will remain there, unless the room has been 'Space Cleared'. So all the amazing births, the not so amazing births and the really traumatic births all leave an imprints or a 'place memory' in that room. Therefore, when you enter that same room, preparing to birth your baby...you will then be affected by the other energies in the room. This is why it is SO important to space clear when you first arrive.
So how does one 'Space Clear'?
There are several methods that can be used on their own, or they can be combined to clear on a deeper level. Some need 'tools', while others need nothing more than your presence and clarity of mind. Beginning with the more simple techniques and working up to working with tools...Space Clearing can include:
- Using the power of your mind - While simple in the fact that you don't need physical tools, it does require a lot of mental focus and clarity of thought. Set your intentions on what you are doing...clearing all negative energy from the room and visualize it lifting off and moving back to source. Once lifted, fill the space with pure, white light, or whatever colour resonates with you. Our minds are INCREDIBLY POWERFUL. Once you get proficient at this, it can actually become your greatest tool!
- Clap your hands - Heavy energy tends to get stuck in corners and dark recesses...generally you can 'feel' a heaviness wherever it gathers. Simply go into these corners and clap your hands in short, sharp bursts and visualize the energy lift as you do it. You should feel an immediate difference.
- Smudge Sticks - These are generally made out of sage herb bunched and tied together, to use as a 'cleansing' agent. Useful for clearing superficial energies from our aura or new homes etc. The main point with them once again however, is the intent behind what you are doing and the focus that you do it with. If you are busy thinking of other things while smudging, it will have limited or no use other than decorative and showy. These can't be used in a hospital setting though as they require lighting with a match...this poses a safety issue due to the piped oxygen in hospital rooms.
- Space Clearing Spray - A spray can be made up for use at home, in the office, or in the birthing space, by blending certain oils that are good for lifting negative and stuck energies. I have a particular blend that I have used for many years which is a very complex and synergistic blend. I use it when doing my consultations and also include it in my 'Feng Shui Kits'. It is expensive to make up a single bottle as I use high quality oils. Lavender is generally a good oil to use on many different levels, if you had to choose one. Do not use if sensitive to lavender and always consult an Aromatherapist for advice on oils...especially during pregnancy. Only use pure Essential oils, not just the aromatic oils...as these have little therapeutic benefit.
- Tibetan Tingsha cymbals - These cymbals are designed for space clearing and come in different sizes, thereby giving different ringtones. When buying a set, listen to what sound it gives off to see what sound resonates most with you for the given task. I personally like having a set of all the different sizes, as I find I need different ones at different times or in certain rooms, depending on what I'm working on. As a general rule, the medium ones work well for the average house or room.
- Space Clearing Bells - These bells are specifically made for Space Clearing and once again come in various types and sizes. You can get the more affordable Tibetan bells for general space Clearing, or you can source out the high quality Priest bells, which are far more superior in make and quality of sound, but they are out of the price range of most people. The difference however, is enormous.
- Music - Don't ever overlook the beneficial effects of music in your life. Music can be very uplifting and can help to lift the vibrational frequency in a room. It can also do the opposite, depending on what you are listening to! Decide what 'vibe' you want to create and choose the appropriate music.
- Crystal Singing Bowls - These are amazing and have a high sound quality. These can be used very effectively to clear stuck energy from a room and also to create the vibration that you are trying to achieve. They are becoming more popular in the birth room as well. A dear friend of mine has created 'Soundbirth'...a business using crystal singing bowls to help bring your baby in. Visit www.soundbirth.com.au for more info.
There are many other ways to 'Space Clear' a room. If you find yourself really interested in this topic, a book I highly recommend reading is "Creating Sacred Space with Feng Shui" by Karen Kingston. It delves into ALL aspects of Space clearing and has lots of great tips for the home user.
Once you learn the art of Space Clearing, you will never view a space the same again. You become more sensitive to the energies around you. It's such a great feeling though, knowing that you CAN do something to change the energy. We have the power to create whatever we want...don't ever underestimate the power of your own mind! Love and Light...